In case of illness or for Pastoral Care, please contact:
Pastor Melodie Long
(315) 646-2077
(315) 646-2130
1845 building on our current site.  1893/94 addition of bells in new tower, a gift of Marietta Pickering Hay
April 2, 1899, the church burns.
Cornerstone laid in 1899 and new church dedicated in 1900.
Sanctuary today with the restored 1900 tracker organ and two signed Tiffany windows.

         In Sackets Harbor, the first recorded worship services were held in the "Meeting House" at the corner of West Washington and South Broad streets around 1806.  On February 12, 1816, a public meeting was held for the purpose of forming a Presbyterian Society with Melancthon T. Woolsey, Samuel Bosworth, Samuel F. Hooker, Elisha Camp and Enoch Ely as Trustees.  March 1, 1817, the Rev. Samuel Snowdon began service as the Society's first minister.  The first church building was at the corner of West Washington and Bayard streets, built in 1819.  Unfortunately, on August 21, 1843, the church was one of 17 buildings destroyed by fire.
        1846 saw the completion of the new church building on the same site where the current structure is found.  It was built of brick to minimize damage in case of another fire in the village.  Accepting a generous gift from Colonel Walter Camp, a chapel was added in 1879 and Marietta Pickering Hay donated a chime of 9 bells in 1893 to be housed in a new steeple.  However, another catastrophic fire destroyed the church building April 2, 1899.
        A new building was constructed on the same site, cornerstone layed September 5, 1899 and dedicated August 2, 1900.  Mrs. Hay had the chime of 9 recast into a chime of 10 to be housed in the new tower along with the village library.  By 1920, the library had outgrown its space in the tower and moved into an annex built for them on the Broad Street side of the church.  The library since moved into their current building next door and the annex now serves as the church office.  The congregation continues the maintenance and care of its building, eg.:  restoration of the tracker organ in 1983; pew restoration, 1991; a 1996 major campaign to restore/upgrade the Sanctuary, Fellowship Hall and Christian education areas; and a new slate roof in 2006.

 

 

 

 

The United Presbyterian Church of Sackets Harbor
Photos
Contacts

 

The United Presbyterian Church
of Sackets Harbor

 

 

"Called by God and organized to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ, the United Presbyterian Church of Sackets Harbor is a communion, strengthened by diversity and dedicated to ministering to members, friends and local and world community."

 

Sermons
for information or to report any problems with this website, please contact the webmaster.
Home
Prayer List
History
Calendar
Facebook Logo